Thursday, July 31, 2008

Day 5 - Thunder Bay, Ontario to Ironwood, MI

We woke up this morning to a slight drizzle, but by the time we were ready to roll it had cleared up and the rest of our day was rain free. We hit the road and made a visit to the Thunder Bay Harley Davidson dealer to see if there were any goodies we might need and to pick up a shirt for a friend in Ohio. Steve found a pirate-like "do-rag" to go with the pirate shirt he was wearing and we figured that was a good tribute to that cute little boy on the ferry :) After shopping, we rode about 30 miles down the road to the US/Canadian border and entered the United States...home sweet home. No more converting kilometers and liters to miles and gallons. Woohoo! We also noticed that the Moose Danger signs changed to Deer Danger signs and several of them had red rudolph noses, he he he. So we spent the rest of our day riding down through Minnesota along Lake Superior. We stopped for some nice overlook viewpoints and to check out the Split Rock Lighthouse which was pretty cool. We climbed up to the top and got to see the huge light, and we also heard them blow the two big fog horns. We zipped down to Duluth, which had some beautiful, huge houses, and then rounded the corner of the lake and headed East in to Wisconsin. Steve found this nice route that took us up by the Apostle Islands which was a real treat. The sun came out for the entire ride and we had the road pretty much to ourselves, though we did have to share it with several deer. We stopped for a break in Bayfield, a small harbor town that has a ferry that runs people out to one of the Apostle Islands. At that point we only had a few more hours of sunlight, so we headed down the road to Ashland for some dinner before continuing on to the cabin. We had been given good directions and Steve had the address in "Sally", his gps unit, but it was tricky trying to read mailboxes and addresses at dusk on a forest lined road. Steve found it though, and we are all settled in. What a beautiful place it is, too. Right on Lake Superior and all the comforts of home. I have one sunset picture from the deck but that's all I could get before the sun went down. Alas, no wi-fi connections in the area as we suspected. So you'll be reading this update a day late.

Update: The next morning we just found wi-fi at our breakfast spot, the Breakwater Cafe. Yippee! Click here for pictures from the day.

Update #2 - The eldest biker would like to give a shout out to Kris, whom we bought the shirt for, and Sandy (his lovely wife) and Denise, who are both light house fans.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sound like another great day! Did you stop for gas at "Krist"? Beautiful sunset shot! Love you guys!

Unknown said...

Hello Bob, Steve and Kristi! I love the picture of my shirt, it made me laugh out loud when I took a break and went on my virtual ride with you yesterday! My cube neighbors asked whats up, ohhh nothing. I appreciated the shout out too!

I am envious of your trip thanks for the pics and video. I have been riding since I was 7 and HD since 21, I have not had a chance to do any more trips like this since 1993. Kids, elderly parents, Ford downsizing all play into my love of riding and Harleys. I got to take 2 short trips with my BFF Kathy though this year and they were great! I wish my hubby had time off to go...

We have been to northern MI many times on our bikes in the early 90s, your pics brought back fond memories of those rides - beautiful!

I am a picture & video hound, I would love to see how that camera hooks up. Everyone knows me when we go with our group, I am the one on the snowmobile or bike riding with one hand, safe no, fun pics yes...

Keep on blogging and keep the shiny side up, rubber side down! Your cyberfriend from Ohio, Kris